Tue, 11 May 2021

DHAKA, April 20 (Xinhua) -- Bangladesh has extended the ongoing strict lockdown to April 28 in efforts to fight the second wave of COVID-19 which is continuing to worsen with mounting deaths.

Bangladesh's Cabinet Division announced the decision in a circular Tuesday.

The lockdown will remain in place from April 22 to 28.

The COVID-19 resurgence since last month prompted the government to impose the strict lockdown from April 14 to 21.

According to the latest order, flights and banking services will run on a limited scale.

Bangladesh recorded 112 deaths from COVID-19 on Monday, its highest daily toll from the pandemic, the government said.

On Tuesday, however, the country's Directorate General of Health Services (DGHS) also reported 4,559 new confirmed cases of COVID-19 and 91 new deaths, making the total tally at 727,780 with 10,588 deaths.

The total number of recovered patients in the country stood at 628,111 including 6,811 new recoveries reported on Tuesday, said the DGHS.

According to the official data, the COVID-19 fatality rate in Bangladesh is now 1.45 percent and recovery rate is 86.31 percent.

More Bangladesh News

Access More

Sign up for Bangladesh News

a daily newsletter full of things to discuss over drinks.and the great thing is that it's on the house!